File issued on first day of class 2013 Light-Space Art Course Schedule
Below is an expanded list of Light-Space_Art topic areas with some questions to consider for each item. These topics will serve as the basis for our discussion of Light-Space_Art throughout the semester. Students should post all general questions / comments about topic areas as replies to this post.
- What is the form the artist uses to present the concept? 2 or 3 dimensional?
- What is the size and configuration of the physical elements of the artwork?
- What materials and construction methods are used?
- How does the artwork relate to the context / site?
- Are all areas of the installation accessible or is viewer access to some areas limited?
- In what way does light change the spatial character of the environment?
- Does the work present significantly different information if the viewer circulates around the space or does viewer movement minimally change it?
- Does the light move or is it fixed and stable?
- Does the artwork incorporate changes to light levels, light color, etc…?
- Do some locations within the space present a “better” view of the piece than others?
- How are the mechanics of the lighting elements and system addressed?
- How was it constructed and how does it work?
- What is the importance of the specific lighting technology used in the intended meaning of the work?
- Hardware vs: Light – Is the primary interest the lighting source, illuminated objects, or the light itself?
- Are the elements used highly specialized or are they commonly used in “everyday” applications?
- How is light and shadow distributed in the artwork?
- How important is peripheral vision in the optical experience of the artwork?
- Does the viewing of the work change the way we process visual information – effect our perception or awareness? How does this happen?
- Is extreme adaptation to contrasting light levels or varied color a component of the work?
- How does afterimage impact the visual experience?
- What goes on in the eye & brain?
- What is the quality of the experience with the artwork emotionally?
- What words can we find to define the experience?
- Does the work reinforce common lighting conditions or evoke dreamlike, unusual phenomenon?
- Does the work reinforce religious references of light and dark?
- Does the artwork create a comfortable or uncomfortable environment?
- What is the conceptual idea the artist is working with?
- What theories and philosophical ideas does the artist reference when discussing their intent?
- What notions or thoughts are they addressing or challenging?
- What worldview / ideology is represented in the work?
- How legible is the concept in the result?
Records + Representations
- How does the artist communicate their ideas prior to realizing experiential work?
- Do they use any representation tools as part of the process for investigate their ideas?
- What records are there of the completed work and how effective are they at representing the first hand experience?